Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: B&W Exposure

  1. #1
    Inactive Member theskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Everyone seems to agree that Kodachrome looks best when it is underexposed one stop, give or take. I am wondering if this same logic should be applied to Plus-X and Tri-X, or should I just use the auto setting in the camera?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    The rule is that if one must err in exposure it is better to overexpose negative and underexpose reversal. Since the films you mention are all reversal films I would think it would be OK to underexpose them. The best answer would be to shoot some test rolls and see how you like the result.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 24, 2002 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Plus-X responds well to -1/2 stop under.

  4. #4
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I've read that on older cameras with less-sophisticated light meters, Tri-X should be underexposed by a quarter f-stop.

    The light meter of my 1973 Leicina Super does fine exposing Tri-X without adjustment, though. I've even shot during a clear, sunny, and cloudless day while using the auto exposure and the image came out fine.

    You can view the clip here:

    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunch24/sundaydrive.avi

    Tom

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 25, 2002 12:16 PM: Message edited by: tfunch24 ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •